Saturday, April 11, 2009

From The Files: The October Girl


Since I can't post anything I've been working on this week (between the rights issues and the secrecy of the project, that would BAD), I thought I'd put up an older piece that never saw the light of day.

When I first started thinking about writing a novel, I was pretty sure it would be called THE OCTOBER GIRL, and feature a character called Autumn (pictured above). I got about halfway into the book before realizing it was just an Evan Fade novel without Evan in it. So after a lot of soul-searching, I abandoned the draft I was working on and folded her into my plans for a FADE novel.

At some point in that process, I considered pitching THE OCTOBER GIRL as a graphic novel that would tie into FADE. I even worked up a couple of presentation pieces, including this one. But as the FADE novel began to come together, it became clear that Autumn was more important to Evan's story than I had originally planned, so I had to abandon the graphic novel idea as well.

Still kind of like this illustration, though.

2 comments:

.ray. said...

i love that piece thats why i said id take her off your hands.

matthew dow smith said...

Already in the "Ray" stack. Now I just have to find the time for a Rocketeer piece to put in there as well.

--MDS